Monday, October 23, 2006

Knitting: Katie's Socks

Here's the progress on the first of Katie's socks. After a few false starts I'm pretty happy with the measurements, style and fit now.

The first few attempts yielded a very sloppy loose fitting sock which I remedied by reducing the number of stitches cast on and using smaller sized DPNs. I also settled on a deep K2P2 rib cuff which seems to fit her better.

I don't have any sock patterns at home and couldn't really find that many kids patterns on the web so I jumped right in and used Hipknitism's 'Sock Calculation Chart' to work out the exact measurements for madam.

I would like to end up with a pair of socks with matching (or near matching) stripes. It doesn't look too difficult to find the pattern repeats on this yarn. I've already explained to Little Miss CB that they may not be identical because that's the beauty of hand knit socks. She seemed fine with it. Funnily enough.

The yarn is Opal Petticoat with the colours blue, turquoise, cream and pink running through it. I am using bamboo DPNs size 2.75mm and 3.25mm. I'm getting used to the feel of the wooden needles: initially I found them difficult to use because of how they griped the yarn. But that seems to be slowly improving.

Knit on!


AR said...

Pretty yarn. She'll love them!

Piglottie said...

They look great Bernie, and I love the yarn. I found it really easy to match my opal socks - I just unwound the ball and started at roughly the same place in the patterning.