Monday, October 08, 2007

Knitting: ISE5 Swatches

Here's the first of 4 swatches for the Heartstrings Beaded Scarf that I plan on making for my pal. I'm aiming for a scarf that's about 6" wide(ish) and 50-60" long. The actual pattern is for a scarf 11"x60".

This first swatch is some King Cole Merino DK that I have left over from ISE4.


I'm not planning on using this actual yarn - I'm more interested in the Merino DK and how it knits up. I have a Jaeger Merino DK in mind if I decide to go with this weight.

Although this scarf calls for laceweight, I personally prefer working with DK or 4ply. I don't know why, but I seem to get on better with them. Maybe it's because the work grows quicker. I have been considering some Lane Borgosesia laceweight from Jannette's Rare Yarns on e-bay. This would be so perfect for my pal but it's LACEWEIGHT! Maybe once I've swatched (till my fingers bleed) I'll have a better idea.

The next swatch will be Rowanspun 4ply. I'm about 1/4 way through the swatch and will post piccies once done. Already I can see that the texture of the Rowanspun may detract from the pattern and beads. Let's wait and see...
The pattern repeat on this scarf is so simple yet very effective. In fact you could modify the pattern to accommodate any of your favourite yarns.

No comments: