Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Spindle spun fun!!

It's been a fun couple of weeks. I've been challenging myself to see how thin I can spin the yarn without breaking it. So far, the best I've made is a 25g skein which measures 80m. I haven't worked out the wpi yet but that's coming.

The Babe spindle can't cope with much more than about 6g of spun wool when it's spun so thin. I haven't tried spinning such thin wool on the wooden spindle yet and that'll be a project for another day.


For this skein I took the 4 blue singles (one pictured above) and plied each one back on itself. I then spit spliced each plied ball of wool to the other and then wound them into a skein on my arm.


Now all I need to do to finish off this skein is to give it a quick rinse to set the twist. I feel like I'm making REAL wool now. But it's hard work producing this much on the spindle as I'm using muscles I never knew I had.

5 comments:

Rositta said...

Hi Bernie, I've been toying with the idea of buying spindle and trying this. I saw a woman do this with dog hair (a golden lab) and it was wonderful yarn. Is it worth it or is it just something to do for fun?...ciao

knitty, witty, woo ( Tracey ). said...

Hi, your spinning looks great. My spindle efforts weren't so good. I find the wheel fun though. In answer to your question on my blog I find the wheel quicker than the spindle. I can definately spin thick quicker than thin though. You have reminded me that I need to practice some more. I have been crocheting since I was bought a hook for Christmas and that seems to have taken over everything else.
Keep at it, your spinning is great.

AR said...

Lovely! I am in love with spindles right now. Nice Springlike color you got there, too.

blog-blethers said...

What great spinning, Bernie! And beautiful shade.

Hope you're feeling physically more comfortable at the mo. Am happy (please, please as it might motivate me to lose a similar amount!) to join you with the 'less of me' campaign. Am due to see the rheumatologist next month and will no doubt have more of the usual rounds of:
Me: It's the steroids
Him: No... it's just you're a porker;)

Piglottie said...

You've really taken to spinning haven't you?! I love your yarn (great colours too).